Van Hanegem can't handle Utrecht's mess
Monday 27 October 2008
The poor results of FC Utrecht
led to some very unexpected steps by management this
Instead of holding the manager
- Willem van Hanegem - responsible for the lack of success
and good football, management sacked all four assistants
of the head coach.
Van Hanegem's assistants John van
Loen and David Nascimento, keepers trainer Maarten Arts
and fitness coach Rob Druppers were all sacked.
The measure led to a nasty war
of words in the Dutch newspapers and saw Van Hanegem
fall ill "because of all the stress" and not
attend Sunday's home game against NAC Breda as a result.
"We noticed in recent weeks
that the chemistry among the members of the technical
staff and with the players was decreasing. This could
be related to the fact that the composition of the technical
staff - apart from the manager - has been the same for
many years. We thought it wise to do something now,"
said General Manager Jan-Willem van Dop, who himself
got sacked recently and got his job back after a court
Especially John van Loen reacted
with much disbelieve to the measure.
He said he never received any signals:
"Last Tuesday I was told I would not do any more
press conferences. I was happy with that as I am not
the manager and I can not express myself as much as
the manager can. Director of Football (DF) Piet Buter
told me then that he thought things were going fine.
Two days later I get fired."
Van Dop later said that here had
been several meetings about the functioning of the assistants,
as was confirmed by DF Buter.
"Even in the last year when
Foeke Booy was coach here personal relationships deteriorated.
We would often talk about it. Things then went well
for a while but never stayed well."
Former Utrecht player Ton du Chatinier
has been named as new assistant to Van Hanegem.